Deputy Director, Elections
Company: Pinal County
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Looking for an opportunity to make a difference and make
significant contributions to our elections department? Pinal County
is seeking a Deputy Director to support and assist our Elections
Director with all aspects of elections activities. We are seeking a
dedicated individual who is passionate about the democratic process
and ensuring integrity and efficiency of election
Consider Pinal County, one of the fastest growing counties in the
country who invests in every one of it's 2000 employees. Check out
our suite of benefit offerings:
- A team of amazing people who are committed to making Pinal
County a great place for its citizens and its employees
- Variety of Top Tier Affordable Medical Plans - Six Different
Medical Plans to Choose From; Some with Zero Employee Premium
- Dental and Vision Plans
- Retirement Plans with Employer Contributions - Guaranteed
- Qualified Employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Program through the Dept of Education
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Paid Vacation And Sick Leave
- Ten Paid Holidays
- Civil Service Leave
- Van Pool Options
- Short-Term Disability - Employer Paid
- Basic Life Insurance - Employer Paid
- Paid Sabbaticals After 15 Years of Continuous Service
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Dependent Care and Medical
- Employee Assistance Program & Wellness Program
- Suite of Voluntary Benefit Options including additional Life,
Accident, Critical Illness and Cancer Insurance Working at Pinal
County is more than just a job, it's a career, it's a community,
and it's an investment in your future.
JOB SUMMARY :
Assist the Director of Elections with the overall planning,
organizing, staffing, logistics, and operational activities of the
Elections Department. Perform work in collaboration with the
Recorder's Office and other key stakeholders to ensure compliance
with all federal and state laws, rules, regulations, and
intergovernmental agreements relating to elections. Supervise the
activities of staff, volunteers and temporary workers. Oversee and
respond to public inquiries regarding elections processes and
Notice to Applicants:
The hiring salary for this position is dependent upon experience,
qualifications and position funding; starting salaries above the
midpoint require additional approval.
This position is not covered under the Pinal County Merit System.
Incumbents in this position serve at the pleasure of their
respective Appointing Authority. The employment relationship of
incumbents in this position is "at will"; the employee may be
terminated at any time, for any reason, with or without cause.
Example of Duties
Work in this classification requires an individual to be able to
perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the primary classification functions herein described.
Since every duty associated with this classification may not be
described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not
specifically spelled out in this classification description, but
which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the
performing of their duties just as though they were actually
written out in this description.
TYPICAL CLASSIFICATION ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Under the direction of the Board of Supervisors, County Manager
and Elections Director, assists the Elections Director in
overseeing Election Day and emergency voting operations and
logistics, staffing and resources. Works in collaboration with all
stakeholders to maintain a secure, transparent, accessible, free
and fair election that inspires public confidence in the election
- Receives and processes early ballots transferred from the
- Oversees post-election ballot processing.
- Provides contract election services and assistance to cities,
towns, school districts, fire districts, special districts and the
Community College District.
- Processes hand counts and recounts.
- Researches administrative, programmatic and technical processes
or problems; develops and implements procedural and technical
- Reviews existing, proposed or recent changes to election laws,
rules and regulations and implements needed changes to Election
Department processes and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Prepares all reports outlined in the Secretary of State
Elections Procedures Manual or as required in the Arizona Revised
- Other duties as assigned. POSITION SPECIFIC DUTIES:
Deputy Director: Operations, Logistics and Warehouse Services
- Assists the Elections Director with the overall planning and
management of the operations of the Pinal County Elections
- Directs the management of operational, technical and warehouse
- Works with the County Attorney's office to monitor legislation
as passed by the Governor and implement election operation changes
as required by Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.)
- Directs the development and implementation of policies and
- Designs, prepares, presents and executes an Election Day Plan
for all applicable elections that fall within the authority of the
Board of Supervisors.
- Prepares and implements setup of accessible equipment for
in-person Early Voting locations
- Prepares and implements setup of in-person voting locations for
- Maintains election equipment, data, calendar and records.
- Oversees post-election voting tabulation.
- Completes Logic and Accuracy Testing.
- Leads and directs operational and organizational
- Evaluates, implements, and monitors security devices and
protocols to ensure election transparency and integrity.
- Analyzes department results and provides recommendations to
improve results and service delivery; identifies operational
deficiencies, develops and implements solutions. Supervises:
- Elections Technology and Security Administrator (County IT
employee assigned to Elections)
- Elections Specialist(s)Deputy Director: Voter Services (Ballot
Administration/Poll and Election Board Workers)
- Reviews, analyzes, interprets and presents election related
data and information to inform the Pinal County Election Day
- Interfaces with all jurisdictions participating in each
- Responsible for customer/voter relationship management.
- Plans, evaluates, prepares and distributes election documents,
including ballots and electronic information, as required each
election cycle to meet the needs of participating voters and
- Oversees the recruitment, training and management of all
volunteer and temporary staffing resources and serves as a resource
for all Election Day workers.
- Oversees the recruitment, training and management of Poll
Workers and Election Boards.
- Identifies opportunities for media, community event engagement,
and social media engagement related to voter education.
- Builds relationships with volunteer and temporary recruitment
sources and community stakeholders.
- Assists in developing and disseminating training materials.
- Elections Manager
- Elections Specialist(s)
- Volunteers and Temporary Workers
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Business or Public Administration,
Management or a related field.
- Four years increasingly responsible elections experience with
at least two years in a supervisory, management, organizational
management and/or legal role.
- Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or
- Valid Driver's License with Arizona Driver's License within 30
days of hire. Special Requirements :
- Arizona Secretary of State Election Certification and
re-certification every two (2) years;
- Employees who do not hold this certification must attend the AZ
Secretary of State Election Certification training and pass the
certification examination at the first scheduled training session
available, no later than December 31, 2023.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Federal, State and Local laws, rules and regulations pertaining
- Planning, organizing and managing comprehensive and complex
operations relating to elections.
- Planning and executing on time critical and logistically
complicated serial and parallel events.
- Communicating complex and technical local, state and federal
laws and requirements relating to areas of assignment.
- Proficient in exercising effective control over voting methods
and devices assuring the security and integrity of their
application and use.
- Techniques and practices for effectively dealing with members
of the public.
- Principles and practices of effective leadership, supervision
- Voting systems and their various applications.
- Administration, budgeting, procurement, and program
- Records management and retention requirements.
- Data collection, analysis and reporting.
- Read, analyze, and interpret journals, financial reports, and
- Respond to inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory
agencies, or members of the business community.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with
employees, other related County departments, government agencies,
and community members.
- Follow written and verbal instructions.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Cultivating a positive work environment.
- Providing quality customer service and maintaining productive
- Prioritizing and setting manageable goals.
- Being efficient with time at work.
- Communicating effectively with management, staff, customers,
- Being flexible and taking criticism constructively.
- Following internal procedures and external regulations.
- Bringing compliance issues to the attention of management.
- Working collaboratively in all facets of position to meet
position requirements and support County goals.
- Conform to all safety rules and use all appropriate safety
equipment. PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The work requires exerting up to 30-40 pounds of force
occasionally, and/or up to 40 pounds of force to move objects, and
ability to occasionally lift and carry items up to25 pounds. The
work also requires the ability to crouch, finger, grasp, handle,
reach, perform repetitive motion, kneel, lift, pull, push, hear,
speak, frequent movement between areas, operate motor vehicles, and
demonstrate mental and visual acuity.
Work is performed in varied work environments throughout the
workday. Work is done in an office setting and warehouse. Site
visits, pick-up, and delivery to various locations throughout Pinal
County is performed. Work is generally performed in a climate
controlled, safe and secure work environment. Contact with agitated
residents and high stress situations may occur.
Keywords: Pinal County, Gilbert , Deputy Director, Elections, Executive , Coolidge, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!