Company: Gilbert Veterinary Hospital
Posted on: April 3, 2021
We are looking to make additions to our team of exceptional
patient advocates. At Gilbert Veterinary Hospital we value our
team, their time, opinions and respect and honor the need for a
work life balance. We understand that if you are running on empty
how can we expect you to perform at your best. Do you want to be
part of a team that gets to be part of the decisions, goes home on
time and doesn't have to worry about work on your off time? If so
then we are the place for you! We are currently seeking full-time
and part-time Veterinary Technicians. In this position, your
primary responsibility is to assist our 5 Doctors with every day
patient care. This may include, but is not limited to - restraint
for procedures, blood draws, catheter placement, x-rays, and most
importantly client education. We work together as a team all day,
every day to ensure that our clients and patients are given service
that exceeds their expectations. As an applicant, we would prefer
you to have 3 or more years of technical experience; however, we
are willing to provide training for a person who brings value to
our team. Some evenings and some Saturdays are a schedule
requirement. If you are looking for an amazing place to work and a
great team to do it with look no further! We can't wait to meet
Job Description at Gilbert Veterinary Hospital
The purpose of this position is to improve the quality of patient
care by assisting veterinarians with patient care and treatment.
Technicians monitor hospitalized patients, help to maintain
inventory, prepare prescriptions, perform routine in house and
specialized lab testing, educate clients regarding veterinary care
and procedures, and assist with surgical procedures. The technician
assists veterinarians to the fullest possible extent, allowing them
to achieve greater efficiency by relieving them of technical,
manual, and administrative work.
The technician performs a variety of patient and client care
duties, conducts patient assessments, anesthetizes patients, and
performs procedures and treatments. Technicians maintain a high
standard of patient care, communicating clearly with the
veterinarians, other hospital personnel, and clients to ensure that
patients receive the care they need.
The technician is friendly and flexible in the face of varying
expectations from clients and co-workers. The Technician quickly
prioritizes, changes focus, multi-tasks, and thinks creatively and
must respond quickly and calmly to emergencies, leading others
through necessary tasks.
Technicians strongly believe in the quality of care provided and
communicate this sense of assurance to clients. Technicians
understand veterinary services and recommendations and can clearly
convey the value of the services to the clients, promoting a
positive work environment and providing direction to and motivating
Technicians must be able to withstand unpleasant odors and noises.
Although preventative measures will be taken for personal safety,
technicians may be exposed to bites, scratches, animal waste, and
Directly reports to the Lead Technicians and/or other Supervisory
staff members. You will also receive direction from veterinarians
on a daily basis.
- Maintains and uses an appropriate level of veterinary medical
knowledge. Takes advantage of in-house educational materials and
continuing education provided by the hospital.
- Maintains knowledge of the hospital's programs, products, and
- Maintains state-required and AAHA annual continuing education
- Keeps abreast of over-the-counter products and their usage,
including flea-control products, skin products, vitamins, and pet
- Provides compassionate patient care, including keeping patients
warm, clean, dry, and comfortable.
- Alerts veterinarian immediately to changes in patients'
- Recognizes patients with potential contagious disease and
follows applicable procedures to prevent spread of disease.
- Medicates patients as required.
- Performs basic emergency care, CPR, and intensive care as
- Restrains animals in a safe, efficient, and compassionate
manner during examinations and procedures.
- Assists with transport of animals to different areas of the
hospital as needed. Cages and removes animals as needed.
- Exercises compassion and care in all interactions with
patients. Properly handles fractious and fearful animals.Exam Room
- Follow established procedures in order to assist veterinarians
with examinations and facilitate the flow of clients and
- Consults with veterinarians on a daily basis to plan each day's
activities. Keeps veterinarians apprised of potential problems,
discussions with clients, and other situations as necessary.
- Reviews medical records, physical exam sheets, and notes made
by the admitting Customer Service Representative (CSR or
receptionist) to discern the nature of the visit and any tests or
procedures that may be needed.
- Restocks drawers in exam rooms and treatment areas as
- Greets clients and patients in lobby and escorts them into an
exam room. Obtains base information (weight, temperature, etc.) for
the pet. Discusses with the client the reason for the visit, any
symptoms or problems, and any procedures that may need to be
completed (e.g., vaccinations or fecal or heartworm tests).
Prepares for the veterinarian to enter the room.
- Uses a physical exam checklist to ensure that all medical needs
- Obtains lab samples that may be needed from the pet. Uses a
fecal loop when necessary. Anticipates and prepares any medications
or vaccines the veterinarian will need to treat the patient.
- Notifies the veterinarian when patients in the exam room are
ready to be seen. Advises the veterinarian about the nature of the
visit, preventative procedures due, and necessary tests.
- Assists the veterinarian with the exam by restraining the
animal, preparing forms, and gathering instruments. Remains in the
exam room or waits around the room until needed by the
- Ensures that all procedures rendered during the visit are
documented for proper billing.
- After the appointment is complete, the technician escorts the
client and patient to the front desk. They give the medical record
and invoice to the Customer Service Representative. Waits until the
CSR goes through the charges with the client and ensures the client
has no further questions.
- Cleans, disinfects, and prepares the exam room for the next
- Ensures accurate and efficient documentation of all
vaccinations, procedures, and notes in the medical record.
- Admits and releases patients for all hospital procedures,
appropriately completing paperwork.
- Accurately invoices clients for services.
- Ensures that reminders are double checked to ensure vaccines
are given at appropriate time schedule.Diagnostics and Laboratory
- Accurately performs routine in-house and specialty laboratory
procedures. Collects, prepares, and handles specimens according to
- Prepares specimens for outside laboratory. Obtains results from
the lab via fax. Ensures that the results are placed into the
appropriate chart and given to the attending doctor for client call
- Monitors lab supplies, informs the Technician responsible for
ordering additional lab supplies as needed.
- Takes digital radiographs using proper techniques and
positioning.Treatments And Other Procedures
- Performs all technician appointments such as routine suture
removals, nail trims, and weight checks.
- Provides appropriate wound care as directed by a veterinarian.
Applies bandages and splints if necessary.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments.
- Gives intravenous, intramuscular, and subcutaneous injections
- Examines patients for fleas, skin irritations, and other
obvious problems.Medication Dispensation
- Understands usage of and recommendations for a wide range of
- Draws up vaccinations, sets up syringes, and ensures that
medications and equipment is ready.
- Calculates medication dosages and fills prescriptions
- Prepares prescription labels and appropriately packages
medications. Ensures expiration date is valid prior to
- Documents controlled drug dispensation when required.
- Ensures that medications are added to the patient's record and
appropriately charged to the client.Hospitalized Patient Care
- Admits and discharges patients on the veterinarian's orders,
being especially careful to ensure that patients being discharged
are well-groomed and in a medically appropriate state.
- Performs any medical treatments of hospitalized patients as
directed by the veterinarian.
- Ensures that all animals hospitalized or boarding receive
appropriate dosages of their medications.
- Assists in treating the post-surgical patients for the day.
Documents all treatments in the medical record.
- Communicates with assistants for the shift regarding patient
needs. Reviews cases with the Treatment Tech taking over at the end
of the shift to allow for an optimal continuation of care.Client
..... click apply for full job details
Keywords: Gilbert Veterinary Hospital, Gilbert , Veterinary Technician, Professions , Gilbert, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!