Control System Communication Technician
Company: ASARCO LLC
Posted on: August 7, 2022
The Communications Technician is responsible for the proper
operation of servers/workstations and network infrastructure for
the Ray Process Control Department including documentation,
projects, preventive and corrective maintenance, work scheduling,
and replacement/spare parts management as assigned by the
supervisor. The Communications Technician will work closely with
the Operational Systems Technician. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Responsible for the proper operation of network infrastructure,
including systems running wireless, fiber optic, and copper, used
by the Ray Process Control systems.
- Configure, troubleshoot, and maintain firewalls, routers, and
domain controllers used by the Ray Process Control systems.
- Configure, troubleshoot, and maintain managed and unmanaged
switches used by the Ray Process Control systems.
- Configure, troubleshoot, and maintain Windows and Unix servers
and workstations, including hardware and software upgrades and
security patches, used by the Ray Process Control systems.
- Manage data backups for all Process Control systems' servers
- Responsible for creating/updating documentation of network
infrastructure used by the Ray Process Control systems.
- Plan, implement, and document network improvement
- Manage equipment specifications and replacement/spare equipment
- Communicate and coordinate with Asarco Information Technology
(IT), Ray Operations staff, maintenance, production, and management
to ensure reliability and effectiveness of the Ray Process Control
- Coordinate safety issues with Ray and Hayden safety
departments. ADDITIONAL DUTIES
- Assist Operational Systems Technician and cross-train in their
- Assist Corporate IT with copper and fiber optic cable
installation and maintenance. REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND
- Knowledge of networking technologies used in LANs including
Ethernet and Wireless.
- Ability to troubleshoot system failures and identify and
eliminate bottlenecks to ensure long term efficiency of
- Knowledge of Microsoft server and workstation hardware and
- Strong background in server management and software
installations and upgrades.
- Ability to organize upgrades, patches, and other scheduled
maintenance activities to minimize disruption of process control
system and plant operations.
- Ability to use test/calibrating equipment, hand tools, and
- Ability to read plant, network, and equipment drawings.
- Familiarity with computerized control systems such as
distributed control (DCS) and programmable logic controllers
- Ability to work with vendors and suppliers.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and maintenance records.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out
instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of
concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in
written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to solicit input from other employees. REQUIRED
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- One year of college or Technical School or equivalent
- Two (2) years of related experience.
- Certification in MCSE, CCNA, or equivalent preferred.
ENVIRONMENTAL, HEALTH & SAFETY
- The job requires training or instruction in the area of
- This job requires training or instruction in the area of Safety
& Health Awareness including completion of the appropriate MSHA
training. A core value of ASARCO LLC is "Safety First." The Company
is committed to help employees continuously improve their efforts
to work in the most safe, inclusive, socially and environmentally
responsible manner practicable. Employee safety and health, both on
and off the job, are critically important to the Company.
Therefore, ASARCO LLC requires employees to have and effectively
demonstrate good working knowledge of modern safety systems. Each
employee will take prime responsibility for ensuring that s/he
works within all required safety procedures and processes.
ASARCO LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates must
possess a current and valid driver's license. Offers of employment
are contingent upon a successful criminal background check and
pre-employment physical including a drug screen.
ASARCO LLC offers an excellent low cost benefits package for
medical/prescription/ dental/vision, disability coverage, life
insurance and other optional coverage, and 401(k) plan with company
The Ray mine is located 64 miles southeast of Phoenix and 70 miles
northeast of Tucson. We have a robust carpool / vanpool program and
encourage employees to participate. Employees save more than 50% of
their commuting costs while reading, sleeping or just enjoying the
Keywords: ASARCO LLC, Gilbert , Control System Communication Technician, Professions , Kearny, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!