Patient Care Technician-Training Available
Company: Fresenius Medical Center
Posted on: January 26, 2023
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:Supports FMCNA's mission vision core values
and customer service philosophy. Adheres to the FMCNA Compliance
Program including following all regulatory and FMS policy
requirements.Functions as part of the hemodialysis health care team
in providing safe and effective dialysis therapy for patients under
the direct supervision of a licensed nurse in accordance with FMCNA
policies procedures and training and in compliance with regulations
set forth by the corporation state and federal agencies.
Responsible for the setup and operation of hemodialysis machines.
Assist in the maintenance of a safe and clean working environment.
Supports the FMCNA commitment to the Quality Enhancement Program
(QEP) and CQI Activities including those related to patient
satisfaction and actively participates in process improvement
activities that enhance the likelihood that patients will achieve
the FMC Quality Enhancement Goals (QEP).DUTIES /
- Responsible for driving the FMS culture through values and
customer service standards.
- Accountable for outstanding customer service to all external
and internal customers.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships through
effective and timely communication.
- Takes initiative and action to respond resolve and follow up
regarding customer service issues with all customers in a timely
manner.PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIESPATIENT CARE:
- Assist other health care members in providing patient specific
detailed education regarding adequacy measures where appropriate -
Online Clearance Monitoring (OLC) Adequacy Monitoring Program (AMP)
Urea Kinetic Modeling (UKM) and regarding disease
- Welcome assigned patients and inquire as to their well-being
since their last treatment. Report any complaints or observations
to the nurse supervisor.
- Evaluate vascular access for patency and report any unusual
findings to nurse supervisor.
- Obtain necessary pre and post treatment vital signs and weight.
Report unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
- Perform vascular access evaluation pre-treatment and report
unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
- Perform vascular access cannulation and report any difficulties
in cannulation or unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
- Perform administration of Heparin as delegated or as allowed by
- Initiate dialysis treatment according to prescribed orders
including blood flow (QB) and dialysate flow (QD).
- Evaluate intradialytic problems and provide intervention as
prescribed by physician order or as directed.
- Monitor patients' response to dialysis therapy and report any
unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
- Obtain vital signs prior to reinfusion; perform all relevant
functions necessary for the discontinuation of treatment -
- Discontinue dialysis treatment according to established
- Evaluate patient prior to termination of venous access -
standing & sitting blood pressure.
- Obtain Hemostasis and apply appropriate dressings.
- Evaluate the patient for prior to discharge and report any
unusual findings to nurse supervisor.
- Perform and record Pre and Post dialysis evaluation weight and
vital signs with initial identification.
- Responsible for calculating and entry of individual patients'
dialysis machine programming for Ultrafiltration (UF) goal;
treatment time; Sodium (Na) modeling; and UF modeling as
- Responsible for ensuring appropriate safety alarms are enabled
including Narrow Venous Limits (NVL) 160.
- Record accurate and timely information regarding vital signs
and treatment parameters onto the Hemodialysis Treatment Sheet with
- Responsible for accurate documentation of information related
to patient treatment including completion of Hemodialysis Treatment
Sheet and if applicable progress notes.
- Report any significant information and/or change in patient
condition directly to the nurse supervisor.
- Observe patient and conduct machine safety checks according to
facility policy. Report any change or unusual findings to the nurse
- Perform and document any intervention for unusual patient
status and document patients' response to intervention.
- Evaluate patients' vascular access during treatment including
arterial and venous monitoring pressures provide appropriate
intervention as needed document and report any unusual findings to
the nurse supervisor.
- Obtain all prescribed laboratory testing and prepare specimens
- Maintain environmental integrity and aesthetics - ensure all
areas are safe and clean.
- Clean and disinfect dialysis machine surface chair equipment
and surrounding area between treatments according to facility
- Conduct all tasks necessary for preparation for dialysis
treatment and document where appropriate.
- Perform all required pretreatment dialysis machine alarm
testing including Pressure Holding (PHT).
- Initiate Solution Delivery System (SDS) system.
- Ensure that all blood spills are immediately cleaned with
appropriate disinfectant according to facility policy.
- Prepare organize and efficiently utilize supplies and equipment
to prevent wastage.CLERICAL & ADMINISTRATIVE:
- Complete and document ongoing participation in Continuous
Quality Improvement (CQI) activities.
- Enters all treatment data into the designated clinical
application accurately and in a timely manner.
- Review treatment sheets for completeness ensure nursing
signatures are documented and ensure omitted entries are completed
or corrected where appropriate.
- Prepare initial patient chart for admission and compile
paperwork for appropriate placement in chart.
- Prepare lab requisitions for prescribed or stat Lab specimens
according to laboratory destination.
- Collect label appropriately prepare and store lab samples
according required laboratory specifications.
- Ensure collection of lab specimens by appropriate lab
- Perform additional duties as assigned.ADDENDUM FOR PATIENT CARE
TECHNICIANS WORKING IN THE HOME PROGRAMS (NOT HOME
ASSIST):Assisting the HT RN:
- May assist HT RN on Home Visit as directed
- Reinforces PD / HHD education under supervision of qualified HT
- Schedules and contacts patients regarding appointments
- Weigh patient and obtain vital signs
- Collect treatment records and review for completion. Notify RN
of incomplete / missing records.
- Cleaning and prepping treatment room; prep charts
- Preparing lab tubes and requisitions & assisting with lab draw
days both pre and post draw (PCT certified phlebotomy or per state
- Clerical duties as assigned (faxing mailing to physician
- Obtain home hemo water sampling as directed by the HT RN
- Set-up of the home hemo machine and PD Cycler.
- Assist with exit site care when directed by HT RN.
- Warm dialysate solution when directed by the HT RN
- Draw dialysate solution for testing as directed by the HT
- Creates and sends patient reminders (supply inventory for order
Kt/V collection bringing meds to clinic visit for review)
- Assembles/breaks down charts/thins charts
- Maintains logs as directed and applicable
- Inventory of Home Program
- Maintains par levels of home department supplies
- Files home patient packing slips/invoices
- Inventory for Patients
- Assists patient with supply management and contacting customer
servicePHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:The physical demands
and work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions.Employees are required to take the Ishihara's
Color Blindness test as a condition of employment. Note that:
Failing the Ishihara Test Blindness does not preclude employment.
The Company will consider whether reasonable accommodations can be
made.Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and
interaction with patients facility staff and physicians. The
position requires travel between assigned facilities and various
locations within the community. Travel to regional Business Unit
and Corporate meetings may be required.The work environment is
characteristic of a health care facility with air temperature
control and moderate noise levels. May be exposed to infectious and
contagious diseases/materialsThe position provides direct patient
care that regularly involves heavy lifting and moving of patients
and assisting with ambulation. Equipment aids and/or coworkers may
provide assistance. This position requires frequent prolonged
periods of standing and the employee must be able to bend over. The
employee may occasionally be required to push and/or pull equipment
exerting up to 15 pounds of force. The employee may be required to
lift and to lower solutions on a frequent basis of up to 30 lbs.
and on an occasional lift basis up to 40 lbs. as high as 5 feet.
There is a two-person assist program and material assist devices
for the heavier items.EDUCATION
- Center for Medicaid/Medicare Services (CMS)-approved state
and/or national certification or High School diploma or G.E.D. and
must meet certification requirements within the required state or
- All appropriate state licensure education and training (if any)
required.EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS
- Previous patient care experience in a hospital setting or
related facility preferred.
- Continued employment is dependent on successful completion of
the FMCNA dialysis training program and successful completion of
CPR certification.EO/AA Employer:
IdentityFresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free
workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state
Keywords: Fresenius Medical Center, Gilbert , Patient Care Technician-Training Available, Professions , Miami, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!